The votes are in and everything has been counted. This year a lot of talented artists put out a lot of good music, some in bunches, some in one singular piece of musical goodness. To keep this vote interesting I only chose 1 song per group for the list (although I could have easily thrown in a number of tracks from a few certain artists to round out my top 51). But what did YOU, the reader select for your favorite track of the year? It seemed to be a common theme among the voters. 2013 was a year for robots!
That’s right, Daft Punk’s smash single Get Lucky took the crown for this year’s top track of 2013. With over 100 million streams of the track on Spotify alone, the French duo took the world by storm with its hard to forget beat and easily danceable sound. Partnering up with legendary guitarist Nile Rodgers and the smooth-voiced Pharrell Williams, the robots had a hit machine in the works before the album even dropped. Partnered with the incredible publicity campaign full of track snippets (see Daft Punk…a decade without) and even a 30-sec looped promo teaser that even made its way around the internet and even radio for a week before being labelled for what it was. This song continues to be incredibly catchy and just makes you want to do and sing along. Just look, even Colbert is doing it!
That right there is why people love it and that is why it won in the voter’s ears and why I believe it rightly deserves the top place of honor as 2013’s Song Of The Year!
Listening to this song, you are not only uplifted, but want to dance and sing along to the synthesized notes and vocal samples. It’s an instant mood changer and the pixie-ish lead singer, Lauren Mayberry, you can’t help but smile at. And the funniest/ironic part? It’s actually a very lyrically melancholy song. This was actually the goal of the group on the song, to make a song that, while lyrically sad, tricks you with a false feeling of empowerment and excitement built in the music. It really is quite a feat, and one the Scots pull off very well.
Feel free to continue to enjoy the Spotify Playlist linked below and here is the complete list in order of the Audiophile’s top 51 tracks of 2013:
Playlist: The Audiophile: Top 51 Tracks of 2013
- Daft Punk – Get Lucky (feat. Pharell Williams)
- CHVRCHES – The Mother We Share
- Vampire Weekend – Step
- Bastille – Pompeii
- Arctic Monkeys – Do I Wanna Know?
- Haim – The Wire
- Local Natives – Heavy Feet
- Savages – Shut Up
- Jake Bugg – Lightning Bolt
- NONONO – Pumpin Blood
- Bat For Lashes – All Your Gold
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Sacrilege
- Foals – My Number
- London Grammar – Strong
- Classixx – Holding On
- Phosphorescent – Song For Zula
- Wild Cub – Thunder Clatter
- Lorde – Royals
- St. Lucia – All Eyes On You
- San Fermin – Sonsick
- The Head & The Heart – Shake
- The Knocks – Modern Hearts (feat. St. Lucia)
- Crystal Fighters – You & I
- RAC – Let Go (feat. Kele, MNDR)
- MS MR – Hurricane
- Paramore – Still Into You
- Phoenix – Trying To Be Cool
- Arcade Fire – Afterlife
- Cut Copy – We Are Explorers
- Jagwar Ma – Come Save Me
- Capital Cities – Safe and Sound
- Frank Turner – Recovery
- Steve Martin & Edie Brickell – Love Has Come For You
- The 1975 – Chocolate
- Noah And The Whale – There Will Come A Time
- The Naked And Famous – Hearts Like Ours
- Small Black – No Stranger
- Everything Everything – Cough Cough
- Atlas Genius – Trojans
- Lord Huron – Time To Run
- James Blake – Retrograde
- Leagues – Spotlight
- Cage The Elephant – Come A Little Closer
- Royal Teeth – Wild
- Rudimental – Feel The Love (feat. John Newman)
- The Limousines – Love Is A Dog From Hell
- Temples – Shelter Song
- Kings Of Leon – Supersoaker
- Cayucas – High School Lover
- Disclosure – Latch
- New Politics – Harlem
I look forward to everything to come in 2014 and hopefully our ears will have the pleasure to have just as competitive a list to determine next year!
Feel like I missed someone or left them off the list? Let me know. Discussion is always appreciated.
and don’t forget to follow on Facebook and on Twitter @AudiofileAkwitz at to get even more music updates that don’t make the posts.
Now Playing: The Audiophile: Top 51 Tracks of 2013